AMSA Exemption 38
This course is aimed at people:
- Who wish to acquire some of the required skills and knowledge to work as a Coxswain;
- Who have a passion for driving boats and transporting goods on the water front or coast; or
- Who want to operate as a Coxswain in a limited capacity.
Limitations for Exemption 38
Exemption 38 is for limited maritime operations that undertake low complexity duties with operators having the following restrictions:
- Operate during daylight hours only
- Command a vessel <12m long and operate propulsion power for an inboard engine <100kW or outboard engine <250kW
- Carry passengers only in the following places and areas:
- marina operations and a mooring areas in sight of the marina;
- inland waters;
- any waters in a tender or auxiliary that are within 1nm from a parent vessel and in sight of and in communication with the parent vessel;
- any other waters approved by the National Regulator.
- Without carrying passengers only in the following places or areas:
- places and kinds of water in Point 3 above;
- smooth waters, including inland waters;
- any waters within 1nm from each point of departure and within 1nm of the coast
- any waters of an aquaculture lease approved by a State or Territory authority, and any approved waters used for the daily transit to and from the aquaculture lease for operation under this exemption;
- any waters within 250 metres of a structure fixed to the shore
- sheltered waters within 2nm from the coast.
- Tow persons only in the following area and situation:
- any waters that are waterski areas approved by a State or Territory authority, with or without passengers; and
- the vessel has propulsion power, for an inboard and outboard engine, <500kW
Delivery of this course
This course will be delivered via blended learning – online resources and assignments followed by a practical assessment. The practical assessment will be completed with an AMSA Approved assessor in an one-on-one environment. We estimate the theory and exam will take approximately 14 hours for someone with limited maritime knowledge. The practical demonstration and assessment will be a five hour session. Three hours will be demonstration with the trainer and assisting students with any areas of uncertainty and two hours will be practical assessment of the student.
Cost of this course
The cost for this course is $750.00
Some additional information relating to this course can be found at the links below.
Ex38 Student Information
Ex38 AMSA508 Training and Assessment Criteria for the Practical Assessment
Students can enrol anytime and start reviewing the learning resources and completing assignments within 24 hours! Once you have completed the self-study and assignments, book your one-on-one session with our AMSA Approved Assessor.
If you would like to enrol you can do so by contacting our office during business hours on (02) 9736 3655